Thursday, January 11, 2007

Why I love going to Ghor

Ghor Mission Jan 2007 - little girl after 01 Originally uploaded by frida world.

Okay, so my nails are all broken, my lips are chapped and my feet are blistered but I am happy. I love getting out of the office. I love working in Ghor. I love flying in the little plane, I love the sense of space that I get from leaving the city and heading up into the mountains. I love walking from one village to the next through the snow. I love visiting girls' schools in the middle of nowhere and finding them in the middle of chemistry and physics lessons. I also love getting back to Herat to my lovely man, home cooked dinner, a long hot shower, a bottle of red wine and Scrubs on DVD. Thanks for all your comments, I promise photos and details tomorrow (if the internet is working). PS: Yes, this is one of the little girls at the orphanage, with her new jacket, hat and tights. More about that soon - but I won't deny I was in tears at one point - instead of the 30 children I was expecting I found almost 300!

6 comments:

Lacithecat said...

Oh that is heartbreaking! She is adorable. The people in your pictures all have such intense stares.

Welcome home. And if tomorrow proves crazy, I will be back in a week or so ...

Back to Africa.

Take care and enjoy being home. Again.

paris parfait said...

Wonderful photo - but bittersweet too - 300 children! It must feel good to know that your visit helped in so many ways. And sounds like a lovely homecoming. :)

Alex aka Gypsy Girl said...

She is so cute! I can't wait to hear all your stories about Ghor...
x

susanna said...

Oh Frida, you take my breath away. What an amazing life you are leading (yeah, I know, I keep writing that but it's true!). It must have been hard to see 300 children instead of 30. Were all 300 children orphans? That is...staggering and heartbreaking. What can I do?

Elizabeth said...

No shortage of orphans in Afghanistan... and I'm sure some people, having heard about distributions and visits, may have sent their children there in the hopes of getting something. Thanks for the beautiful picture.

My Marrakech said...

What a wonderful thing to do. You are so very special, Frida.