Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tributes: Cathy and Wendie

Cathy and Wendie Originally uploaded by frida world.

I've been thinking a lot about some of my amazing ladies today. As a result I've decided to start posting little tributes to these amazing women whom I'm lucky enough to have as friends. Today I'm starting with Cathy and Wendie. Mostly because I had this gorgeous photo of them both from my last trip home... I think I'll post a tribute every Saturday. It will be my treat for myself, a time to savour these wonderful women and remind myself that they are there, a little out of reach but never out of touch. Cathy adds sparkle to my life. She is my joy and my inspiration to turn the Neil Diamond up and dance on the couch. She is one of those very rare people with whom I always feel comfortable, always safe to be myself without fear that I will offend or bore her. Cathy is brilliant, funny, generous and warm. She loves to put up her little dome tent as much as I do mine and we can camp together just for the joy of waking up to see the sea. With Cathy I have dressed up and drunk countless bottles of fejoia bubbly wine. She can crow like a rooster and she is the ultimate "Dancehall Girl". I love Cathy and any day now I'm going to cut my fringe to look just like her. Cathy spreads warmth and a wicked sense of humour, and someone who didn't know better might underestimate her competence and professional skill - she makes it look so easy! When I'm with Cathy I know that it wouldn't matter if there were no-one else in the world - we'd still find reason to dance, and laugh and dream and our own little world would be a place of hopes and good-heartedness. Wendie and I are kindred spirits, so similar that we compete with each other and love each other for the competition. For more mornings than I could count Wendie has been there, waiting for me to pull on my runing shoes and head out into the day, running through our worries, our tears, our joys and our many projects. I've never run as fast as I do when I'm running a race with Wendie by my side. Wendie is the kind of woman who would make me terribly jealous if I didn't love her so much and know her so well. She is not only stunning and full of life, she is also frighteningly competent and hard working. She scares some people with her brilliance, but not me! I know she is as loyal and stubborn as I am and as long as I am me and she is she we'll be there for each other. Wendie shares my dreams and I share hers, we push each other to reach a little higher and then remind each other to sit and have a wee rest and take a long hot bath. I'm a lucky, lucky girl, and there are so many more still to come! This is fun!

10 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What a very lovely tribute!!! You are such a good friend.

Annie Jeffries said...

What a beautiful weekly tribute you have in mind. Our lives would be so poor without good friends.

paris parfait said...

They sound like wonderful friends! Thanks for sharing the joy.

Deb said...

Hi Frida... I am a friend of dear Annie and am adding my support to your efforts with the children. I have such admiration for all that you are doing. My best to you - we will do what we can here! Safe travels. Deb

Gardenia said...

Hi, I found your blog quite by accident, a remarkable blog written by a remarkable person with a remarkable spirit! I have some pretty cool people in my blog circle. I would like to put your blog on my blog as a link, but wanted permission first. I will send you an invite to my blog so you can check it out. It sounds like you might not have enough time - but if so inclined, I would be honored.

Regina said...

Friends are wonderful aren't they? They inspire us and help us to be the best we can be! You are so lucky to have two such wonderful friends- and they are lucky to have you.

Colorsonmymind said...

Oh how wonderful they are-and you as well. Thanks for dancing.

luzie said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friends!

Beaut Commute said...

I'm a bit late responding to this post. But I want to anyway because I know both Cathy and Wendie.
Wendie I don't know so well but I know how important she is to Marianne. She is a wise counsel. The Wendie I know blows me away with her extraordinary patience, common sense and leadership qualities. All of this without losing her joie de vive and her humour. She deserves everything good that happens to her.
Cathy. Well, Cathy. Cathy is one of the people who makes me laugh more than anyone else I know. Honestly, until my sides hurt and I am gasping for breath. Not just because she's a brilliant storyteller (which she is) but because when you laugh with Cathy you are laughing about something you have both discovered and seen the hilarity in. But more than the humour, Cathy is frightening bright, and is AMAZING at any work she choses to do. She manages people very well without making them feel as though they have had instruction or even that they are being made to do something they don't want to do.
She is insightful and considerate. She has a fantastic design sense and she is, in general, a life enhancer.
So, Marianne, I pay tribute to your tributes.

Anonymous said...

I am actually glad to read this webpage posts which carries tons
of useful facts, thanks for providing these
kinds of information.

Also visit my site - vink